Tuesday 23 December 2014

IN MEMORY: David Cowan (1925-2011)

DAVID & HERMIE

David served in the Dorsetshire Regiment.  In 1950-1953 he was in Spittal and Vienna as Batman to my father, Lionel Johnson Wood. David subsequently attended all the Dorset Regiment functions right up to the end of his life.

David asked my father, (his commanding officer) for permission to marry Hermie.  Dad gladly gave permission and also made the wedding arrangements.

My memories of David playing with me as a child will always be with me.  We had such fun.  He would lift me to his shoulders and give me Piggy-backs and take me wherever he went when he was not on duty.


I LOVED THE PIGGY-BACK RIDES





LEFT: UNIDENTIFIED SOLDIER;

RIGHT: DAVID  

1951 DRIVING TO MILSTATT


DAVID & HERMIE WERE MEMBERS OF OUR HOUSEHOLD

 MILLSTATT, AUSTRIA




DAVID WAS OUR OFFICIAL DRIVER


AT ROSENVILLA

OUR HOME IN VIENNA

ROSEN VILLA


FIRST LEFT: DAVID COWAN

AT SCHONBRUNN PALACE,

VIENNA, AUSTRIA

1953


HERMIE COWAN, GILLY ELLISTON (NEE WOOD), DAVID COWAN

CORNWALL, DEVON, ENGLAND

2003

PHOTO BY PAULINE COWAN

David & Hermie kept in touch with us always. When Kathy and I stayed with them in Plymouth, Devon in 1993 they took us out every day and drove us to many villages in Devon & we went with them on the car ferry to Cornwall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

KING CHARLES 3RD Gilly Wood 28 September 2022 at 23:26 To: gillyhistory H.R.H King Charles 3rd & Gilly are 13th Cousins Once Removed. ...